Welcome

Poor old Gilbert is getting restless. Despite the fact that there is more interest in wildlife than ever before, it seems that most of the so-called conservation organisations are losing interest in species. Instead they prefer to babble on about landscape scale conservation and ecosystem services (whatever they are). Could this be because most of their staff don't have any knowledge about species if they don't have four legs?
This is my attempt to encourage an interest in good old-fashioned natural history.

Monday 16 April 2012

Ooh err missus

Following my first posting, MB (who can always be relied upon to entertain) sent me the following image showing the similarity between Gilbert White and Mrs Slocombe.


I can promise readers that there will be no references to my pussy in this blog! For younger readers who have no idea what I'm going on about, count yourself lucky.

In the spirit of Are you being served, it is perhaps appropriate that I went to have a look at Grandfather's Bottom this morning! This is one of the most stunning landscapes in Hampshire although the photo doesn't do justice to the steepness of the slopes.


The purpose of my visit was to see if there were any Ring Ouzels around. Luckily the site was not too badly disturbed today and I found a superb male quite quickly. I had about 15 minutes to get some record shots before the first out-of-control dogs flushed it. With more dogs heading my way I decided to head off. The best of my shots is below.


On the way back to the car a Buzzard soared over my head. Having been so scarce in this part of the world for much of my life, I still find it thrilling to get such good views.


Other species seen included Grizzled Skipper, the attractive pyralid moths Pyrausta nigrata and P. purpuralis and a pill woodlouse whose exact identity will have to wait for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment