Welcome

Poor old Gilbert is getting restless. Despite the fact that there is more interest in wildlife than ever before, it seems that most of the so-called conservation organisations are losing interest in species. Instead they prefer to babble on about landscape scale conservation and ecosystem services (whatever they are). Could this be because most of their staff don't have any knowledge about species if they don't have four legs?
This is my attempt to encourage an interest in good old-fashioned natural history.

Friday 28 March 2014

Guillemot

Today I received details from the BTO of a ringed Guillemot that I found dead on the beach at Hayling seafront on 13th January.


The ring was in perfect condition and at the time I suspected that it was a rehabilitated bird that had been ringed a matter of days before it was found dead. Clearly the rings survive in sea water much better than I realised as it had been ringed as a nestling on the Isle of Canna on 20th July 2013, 785km NNW.

It had been particularly stormy in the lead up to my finding the corpse although at that stage there hadn't been a lot of dead auks found elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment